Thursday, March 2, 2017

No Dichotomy

This Dvar Torah is being sent in honor of my father's yahrtzeit, 2 Adar. May his soul continue its ascent.

          Rashi's initial comment on the parasha is on the use of the word "li" ("for Me") in the second verse: Speak to the Children of Israel, that they take an offering ("terumah") for Me ... [Exodus 25:2] which he explains to mean "for My sake" (literally "for My name").
          My father noted that terumah literally means "raising up." Although Rashi himself explains the word to mean "that which is set aside," my father suggested that both meanings apply to our verse: when one sets aside an offering for the sake of heaven, the giver is sanctified, and the effect is to elevate oneself.
          One of the central themes of my father's life and one of his consistent teachings was a sincere belief that the performance of mitzvot elevates the individual to a higher spiritual level.
          Even more, my father consistently taught that the goal of Torah and mitzvot is to endow every act and every thing with an aspect of kedusha, sanctity. Ultimately, there is no dichotomy between the sacred and the mundane, since Torah teaches us to raise even the most earthly things to a spiritual level. My father taught this lesson through the diversity of his interests and wisdom - his scientific bent, his love of the arts, particularly classical music, and travel.



No comments:

Post a Comment