Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Four Redemptions

Therefore, say to the Children of Israel: I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm, and with great judgments; and I will take you to Me as a people, and I will be your God, and you shall know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. And I will bring you into the Land concerning which I have raised My hand to give it to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob; and I will give it to you as a heritage (morasha): I am the Lord.                                                           Exodus 6:6-8
These verses present the “four languages of redemption” (or “four redemptions,” according to the Jerusalem Talmud [Pesaḥim 10:1]), which are the basis of the four cups of wine used at the seder. My father explained that these are four stages towards the ultimate redemption. It is first incumbent to understand that slavery constitutes a burden which should not be tolerated. The dream of the slave, that his master not be too harsh with him is unacceptable, for slavery, by definition is an evil. Once the people understand the evil of slavery, God will deliver them from their bondage, taking them to physical freedom. However, physical freedom is insufficient, and the next stage is complete redemption, implying an internal feeling of freedom as well. This, in turn, leads to “and I will take you to Me as a people.” Once Israel accepts the “yoke of heaven,” their freedom will be completed, as our Sages taught: none is free, save he who busies himself with Torah.
Some question why the phrase “and you shall know that I am the Lord your God” is not considered one of redemptions. Perhaps the reason is that the four redemptions are dependent upon God’s actions, while “you shall know” is dependent upon the Children of Israel, who have the free choice to acknowledge God’s mastery or not.
“And I will bring you into the Land” is also not included in the four redemptions, because it is not permanent, since Israel was exiled from its Land. However, with the ultimate redemption, Israel’s return to its Land will be permanent, as by the fifth cup of wine, the “cup of Elijah, who will be the harbinger of the final redemption.


No comments:

Post a Comment