Thursday, January 5, 2017

Using the Holy Tongue


And behold, your eyes see, and the eyes of my brother Benjamin, that it is my mouth which speaks to you.                            Genesis 45:12
“That it is my mouth which speaks to you”: in the Holy Tongue.                                         Rashi

            Naḥmanides rejects Rashi’s interpretation, noting that Joseph’s ability to speak Hebrew would not prove that he is indeed Joseph. Rather, suggest Naḥmanides, “That it is my mouth which speaks to you” means: I, who have the power and authority to do so, promise to sustain you here in Egypt.
            My father defended Rashi’s comment, suggesting that “in the Holy Tongue” are the words of Joseph himself. The fact that the viceroy of Egypt refers to Hebrew as the Holy Tongue, not only indicates that he is indeed Joseph, but indicates further that he has remained loyal to the traditions of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, since the Holy Tongue is a vehicle which conveys the culture of the Forefathers.


No comments:

Post a Comment