Thursday, May 26, 2016

Remembering Fathers and the Land

The parasha includes the “admonition,” a warning of what may happen if the People of Israel do not observe God’s commandments, which concludes with the verse:
Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember and I will remember the Land.                                                                                  Leviticus 26:42
In an unusual arrangement, the Torah here presents the forefathers in reverse order, from Jacob back to Abraham.
My father explained that Jacob is the symbol of being oppressed and suffering; Isaac, who willingly was bound on the altar at Mount Moriah, is the symbol of self sacrifice; and Abraham was the first recipient of God’s promise of the Land of Israel to the Children of Israel.
Perhaps the Torah wants us to understand that God first “remembers” the suffering if His people. As well, God appreciates the self sacrifice of His people and credits them for this. Finally, God, of course fulfills His promises. Perhaps the merit of the Jews’ suffering and self sacrifice “count” more than God’s promise and make greater contributions to the Jews’ ultimate salvation.


No comments:

Post a Comment